Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Tied up at the office

Two things have been missing from The Recipe lately. Columns regarding men's fashion, and an entry from your New York correspondent. With this post, I hope to kill two birds with one stone.

As I do every weekday, I am currently wearing a shirt, slacks and necktie (my employer forbids dress-down days of any sort). Every morning as I get dressed, I question exactly why I am forced to wear this corporate uniform every day. I do nothing more than sit in a quiet office typing staring into a computer screen; there is absolutely no need for me to look presentable. I don't meet with clients, like some of you might. No one from the outside even comes into my office, for which I might have to 'dress to impress.' I never meet with any of my superiors either. In fact, it has been several days since my boss has even had a reason to speak with me.

This has led me to conclude that the only reason why I sit here Monday-Friday in a shirt and tie is so I can feel vastly more important than I actually am. By attempting to instill a sense of professionalism and importance in me, my employer hopes that I will be more productive. The actual result, however, is that you have a bunch of guys making wisecracks and screwing around in dress clothes rather than in business casual or street attire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home