Thursday, April 13, 2006

New Diseases

The computer, as we all know, is a fairly recent invention, the product of a new generation of thinkers. For the past twenty-odd years, computers, or some variation there of, have slowly trickled into nearly every aspect of daily life, and, more significantly, professional life. I would say they have transformed the way we live.

But to what extent?

Do we know the true toll that computers will eventually have on the working man? I, for example, spend 7-10 hours a day staring at a computer screen. That, my friend, is not healthy. I don't think there have been too many jobs in the history of man that required an individual to stare at a stationary object for hours on end. I have to wonder what the implications are. Glasses? Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? A general weakening of one's constitution? I think people should be scared and start beefing up their health insurance options. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies, who are always ahead of the game, gradually insert clauses into their coverage about computer-related injuries.

I would put money on it that we are in for a big surprise as the first generation of computer-based workers age beyond their mid-thirties and fall susceptible to the power of time. If you asked me, a pandemic is just around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home