Friday, April 14, 2006

Friday!

Darn you, Mr. Lee, darn you and your "office optional Friday." Your so-called "Congressional recess" is no match for my glorious Friday, which, I am proud to say, includes a slight hangover, intermittent email connectivity, conference calls, and (drum roll) the anticipation of breaking a single-day Help Desk issues resolved record. Wooooooooooooooooooo!

The current mark, set by Corporal Felix P. Hollingberry on July 1, 1916, stands at 2,498 following heavy British engagements at the first Battle of the Somme. CPL Hollingberry, who by no coincidence is my Help Desk hero, single-handedly received, routed, and addressed over 3,000 calls that day. A memorial stands to this day in honor of his courageous efforts.

On a more serious note, I think the optional Friday is a brilliant idea. Two weeks ago, following a couple of hard days in the office, I decided to skip out early and "work from home," which, for those of you beyond the realm of corporatia, means you go home, drink beer on the couch, and keep the cell phone within arm's reach. Much to my surprise, however, I was incredibly productive! Without the relentless distractions commonly associated with a Friday (power lunches, paper airplanes, et cetera), I knocked out a significant amount of work. I was able to catch up on a number of back-burner items that are usually sidelined by more pressing tasks - and Friday fun.

But we all know that working from home is generally frowned upon. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home