Sunday, January 28, 2007

POT[T]Y

A while back, Mr. Beerman asked that identify a Person of the Year. I've been thinking about it every since, and, to be totally honest with you, I've got nothing. But I owe Mr. Beerman a response, so here goes...

At first I wanted to agree with Mr. Beerman and vote for our dearest friend and ally, Iranian strongman Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, but that would be no fun. So, for the sake of argument, let's go with - shit, I don't know - George Walker Bush.

Again, you ask? What, you say? Yep, you heard me right: I tip my hat to "Dubya."

The leader of the Western World - the "Decider," if you will - took the honor in 2004, and, if my opinion mattered, he'd have another hunk of metal for his already packed mantle in 2006. He accomplished so much in 365 days, and I think he should be recognized for it. Let's review a few highlights:

1. He turned 60, and, for the first time in his lengthy political career, wore a black (not blue or red) tie.
2. His once record-setting approval ratings, according to a NBC poll, "dropped well below abysmal."
3. He successfully pronounced "American." Prior to 2006, Mr. Bush preferred a shorter, perhaps more efficient version, heard as, for example, "I believe in the resolve of 'merica's servicemen and women." (Kobes, do I capitalize the "m" if I cut off the "A"? Just curious...)
4. He restated his Divine Right to rule.
5. He ruined the GOP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home