Sunday, July 09, 2006

Happy birthday to whom?

A funny little story...

While at work on Friday, my boss mentioned to a co-worker and myself that it was the birthday of a certain client that happened to be in the New York office. That said, he thought it would be nice to get a cake to be served at lunch (we were informed of said birthday at 12:45; they were having lunch at 1:30). Thus, we had to find a bakery in midtown that would make and deliver a cake within 45 minutes. A few frantic internet searches later and we found a place located conveniently around the block that could fulfill our last-minute requests. We ran out and picked up the cake, which, after a round of the obligatory 'Happy Birthday', was presented to the Birthday Boy. It was a nice little treat on an otherwise dull Friday.

End of story? No.

A few hours afterwards, another coworker, who was conveniently looking after the client's passport while he was in town, discovered a shocking fact. It was not, in fact, the man's birthday!

Like other bits of small information, birthdates are easy to forget/confuse. I do not think that the client went out of his way to start a false rumor that it was his birthday in a lame attempt to gain a piece of cake. Most likely, my boss was mistaken but unknowingly took a step to surprise his client.

Now my first reaction was disbelief that a man would have the nerve to be served cake and be sung to while all the while knowing full well that he did not deserve the attention. It seemed dishonest and a little cheeky. I mean, who does that?

But giving the client the benefit of the doubt, I put myself in his shoes. I am in a foreign office with a large group of people, most of whom I've never met, much less spoken to in my life. For reasons unknown, they are singing 'Happy Birthday', and bringing out a large cake. I have two options. One, come clean, or two, go with it and hope no one finds out. Option number one would result in an intensely awkward situation for everyone involved, as the truth would undoubtedly kill the festive mood. But with option number two, everyone gets a piece of cake, as well as the pleasure of a nice surprise. All I have to do is smile and keep my mouth shut. I choose option number two.

My conclusion: At times, ignorance can be blissful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home