Saturday, June 24, 2006

Saturday Morning

It is Saturday at 10:30 AM, and I've been at my desk since 8. Typically I like to spend my Saturdays running errands, maybe catching a movie if I so desire, but today some company wants to buy some other company, and long story short, I needed to work. I've been told to plan on staying here until midnight at the earliest, but most likely until 1 or 2 AM. The silver lining? I've been promised meals and a cab ride home.

Given the demographics of The Recipe's readership (DC/NoVA yupsters), I'm sure most of you empathize with my situation. We've all worked absurdly long hours and weekends in the past, and will continue to do so in the future. This is the norm in the fairytale land of Corporatia. Specifically, I know for a fact that Dr Cook and his colleagues at [name of Dr Cook's company] work hours like this on a regular basis.

Do I mind? That's where it gets a bit more complicated. To be fair, I was planning on returning to my homeland this weekend to partake in the various festivities associated with the birthday of a friend. Unfortunately, these plans had to be canceled, and should that certain friend stumble onto this post, I would like him to know that I'm sorry I couldn't be there. However, I'd like to take a few days off at the end of July, which would require me to show a bit more effort now. And let's not forget that my employer pays its grunts by the hour, and I'm well into overtime for the week. Thus, [currying favor with the bossman now] + [extra pay] = [me not hating it so much].

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I am here to provide additional help as necessary, which so far has not been needed. I have not done anything productive, save for writing my first blog entry in a few weeks, which my readers might appreciate, but it does not directly increase the efficiency of the firm, nor help me climb another rung in the ladder. I am left with the feeling that today will be a colassal waste of my time.

Furthermore, even if I am given a substantial task to do today, I still don't give a damn about the end goal. One company is buying out another company. Do I care? Not really. I'm not a stockholder of either company, nor do I plan on becoming one. Am I interested in business transactions of this nature? No. I don't mind visiting Corporatia, or even studying there temporarily, but I have no plans to emigrate. While I work very hard, regardless of the specific task, I always leave feeling a little empty inside, and I look forward to the day when I have a job doing something that I care about passionately. I may disagree with the views of our favorite Ayn Rand fan, but I admire his working for the causes that he believes in.

On that note, back to work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home