Monday, July 31, 2006

Counterpoint

Dr Cook, I stumbled upon your last post, and I have to say that your concerns are unfounded. If I have understood you correctly (and please, tell me if I have not), you feel that with the digital age, which you discuss vis a vis iTunes, popular songs will be overplayed and quickly discarded. Downloading makes this very easy and therefore, there is less incentive for the listener to find new music, try new things, or, as you very nicely put it, "to explore."

Doctor, regardless of the phenomenon of iTunes, there will always be one-hit wonders. There will always be bands that are known for one song or two and then forgotten. Herman's Hermits? Soul Asylum?

iTunes isn't responsible for a handful of songs being overplayed and subsequently thrown out. The same thing happened when vinyl singles, cassette singles, cd singles, top-40 radio stations, and MTV music videos were the musical medium of choice.

Rather, I think the digital age has made it infinitely easier to explore music. Especially in the last year, I have made a real effort to find new, good music, and this is so much easier with the internet. Without it, I'd have to go see fifty crap bands for that one gem, and I'd end up buying hundreds of worthless CDs. Now, when I read a review or get a recommendation, I go to the bands website, listen to a few samples and decide if they are worth pursuing. I can find out who they are, where they come from, when they are touring. I've learned so much thanks to the internet, not only about the local scene, but about what's going on in other places as well. Don't be so quick to dismiss the web. One-hit wonders and overplayed songs will come and go no matter what. But the internet has opened up new worlds to both musicians and music lovers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home