Monday, July 31, 2006

Digital...

I like music. I like music a lot. Old, new, mixed, remixed, or somewhere in between, chances are I will listen to it and appreciate it. But I fear for the future of an industry.

This morning, while perusing my iTunes collection, I decided to purchase something new. I typically buy an album every few weeks as another form of compensation for my cubicle-dwelling lifestyle. This time, I had my eye on Gnarls Barkley's debut album, St. Elsewhere. I listened to a few samples (liked what I heard), read a couple of reviews (liked what I read), and then "googled" Gnarls (disliked what I read). Here's what I found from our good friend - cough, cough - Wikipedia: "Crazy [by Gnarls Barkley] is the first ever single to top the UK singles chart purely on download sales as it was released online a week before it was released as a CD single." You've probably heard the song - it's saturating the air waves - and you more than likely enjoyed it. I'm not surprised at all it's spent 9 weeks at the top. But is that okay?

In my opinion, probably not.

For quite some time now, I have been concerned that the "digital era" poses serious problems for the music industry. Products like iTunes makes it far too easy to download a hit song, listen to it as much as want to, and then ignore it once you've over-played it. There's no strong incentive to explore music. An obvious example is the album. Once considered a life's work, the album has become a vehicle for one, maybe two singles, five skits, and then a whole bunch of bad filler. It's as if many artists only bother with a solid 15 tracks because they're contractually obligated to do so. If singles pay the big bucks, why worry about the much harder task of creating an album?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home