Thursday, August 16, 2007

War(s)

Rumor has it the War on Terror isn't going as planned. But how are we faring in the War on Drugs and the War on Poverty? Are we still fighting these wars? Did we surrender? Have we wont hearts and minds? We need to stop packaging things as wars and start calling our soldiers "liberty missionaries." That should do it. But never mind.

A couple of weeks ago, Mr. Lee, via Robert Samuelson, asked for my thoughts on the soon-to-be-a-crisis health care issue and other domestic spending "entitlements." And, admittedly, I don't know enough to really voice a strong opinion. So I've been reading up on the subject and everyone seems to agree we are facing an entirely new problem -- both in terms of scope and magnitude. Apparently, we cannot afford to support our aging population.

I haven't, as of yet, read or heard of any good solutions, which makes me wonder if this will come up as we move into 2008. Thompson has called attention to the problem, but hasn't said how to fix it. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home