Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Prius Politics

Mr. Samuelson never fails to sour the mood. He must be the single worst dinner guest ever.

In today's Post, he (once again) stated his less-than-peachy view of greenhouse gas cutting measures -- this time through slightly more pedestrian means. He dropped truth bombs via the Toyota Prius, which, he writes, "is...a parable for the broader politics of global warming. Prius politics is mostly about showing off, not curbing greenhouse gas emissions." He continues, arguing that "Politicians pander to 'green' constituents who want to feel good about themselves. Grandiose goals are declared. But measures to achieve them are deferred -- or don't exist."

Stated simply, Mr. Samuelson says we are crap outta luck.

And I, for one, believe him. I can't imagine that changing every light bulb in my house will patch the ozone, put ice on both poles, and keep those cuddly polar bears alive. It just doesn't seem feasible given our current path. But I don't have a good answer. I bought my carbon offset and recycle, but I also wear synthetic fibers, drive 30 miles everyday, and find Greenpeace reps annoying. The Government probably won't do the job, and, given the global nature of greenhouse gas emissions, private industry won't butter the bread either.

So, I guess, we should burn up all the oil before the Chinese get to it. Vrooom!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Thoughts on his latest?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20010728/site/newsweek/page/0/

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home