Saturday, March 31, 2007

Top 5

The finale...But in case you forgot the first part, here it is.

5. Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones - I don't want people to think that I wanted to put some Stones in my list and that it might as well be this album. While I wouldn't go so far as to say this album is forgotten, it sometimes is overlooked by critics, often passed over for Exile on Main Street or Beggar's Banquet, to name a few. But Sticky Fingers is such a great combination of rock and blues that it should be a requirement in everyone's collection. Songs of note: "Brown Sugar", "Wild Horses" and my personal favorite, "Dead Flowers."

4. Up the Bracket by The Libertines - Sometimes albums get a ton of hype that they don't deserve. Other times albums get a ton of hype and press and they deserve every last bit of it. Call me a cliche, say that I jumped on the bandwagon, frankly, I don't give a damn. Back before he made headlines for dating Kate Moss and being an all-inclusive jackass, Pete Doherty was in one of the finest British bands of the last fifteen years. He and Carl Barat had their work cut out for them with this album. A fantastic garage rock album that four years later still sounds quite raw and fresh. It has just enough melody to make it fun to listen to, but not enough to make it sound like a teeny-bopper's wet dream. A rock album for the ages.

3. Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan - The apex of Dylan's creativity? I think so. Each song is uniquely different, yet the album still manages to work as a whole. (Author's note: I had to flip a coin to choose between my third and second picks. It was too hard to pick between these two incarnations of Dylan.)

2. Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan - I could listen to this over and over again and never get sick of it. From "Like a Rolling Stone" to "Desolation Row", each song is an abolute gem, perfectly written and arranged all the way through.

1. De Stijl by The White Stripes - As we all know The White Stripes have only a guitar and a drum, or at times a piano and a drum, and to paraphrase Mr. White, "When the complicated is no longer an option, the mind is forced to acknowledge the simple things that make the complicated beautiful." The White Stripes are stripped down - only the key elements of rock music. Nowhere is this sound more perfect than on De Stijl.

2 Comments:

Blogger mtkobes said...

Beerman- you've made my day!

8:23 AM  
Blogger mike c said...

it's D'Steel(e)

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home