Thursday, March 15, 2007

Top 10 through 6

In the interests of squeezing two posts out of the subject (I think I was destined to be a writer with an attitude like that), I've divided my top ten albums of all time into two sections. Note that this is my top ten favorite albums, and is obviously based on my personal preference. If you want to see what are the best albums of all time, go read Rolling Stone. There are many notable omissions. There is no rap or country on my list, which is mostly due to me not caring a great deal for either genre. There are several good bands out there that don't make an appearance. I also tried (unsuccessfully, as it turned out) to select only one album per artist, in an attempt to have a little variety.

So without further ado...

10. Transformer by Lou Reed - The man that all New York musicians should aspire to be. Every song is beautifully written and all are delivered in that hypnotic voice that I could listen to for hours. Yes, it can get a bit glam-rocky and yes it can feel like a drug-induced odyssey, but there's no denying that this album is a treat to listen to.

9. Elephant by the White Stripes - No, it wasn't as commercial as White Blood Cells, nor was it as beautiful as De Stijl. Still, Jack White found a very unique middle ground between the two with Elephant. And considering that Jack White is the only rock musician in the past ten years to truly embrace the notion of album as art form, and that the White Stripes are the only band of the last ten years worth listening to on a regular basis, they deserve to have two spots in my top ten.

8. The Band by The Band - I challenge you to listen to this album when you're feeling down and not feel like a million bucks afterwards.

7. Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen - Blue collar rock at its best and the best of Bruce's collection. Thunder Road is the only song that I allow myself to put on repeat.

6. Astral Weeks by Van Morrison - Beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home