Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Correction

My ever-mindful cubicle buddy, Kiwi, noted a miscalculation in yesterday's post, 2040 Billable Hours. Below is a revised calculation of my total billable hours over the past 365 metric days.

52 weeks in a year - 2 weeks vacation - 1 week personal leave - 7 vacation days = 48 billable weeks * 40 hours in a work week = 1920 possible billable hours * 95% utilization rate = 1,824 HOURS BILLED. Again, let's explore this number a little further:

Assuming I am awake for 17 hours a day, I was at work for 31.23% of my conscious life over the past year. Moreover, if you factor in my daily commute, I was doing something directly work-related for 36.4% of said lifetime. Finally, to really drive the coffins in the nails, factor in 30 minutes of lunchtime a day, and I am "simplifying" a solid 38.01% of the time. I won't even discuss time spent "on call" - I'll direct you to Angry Roommate for a detailed discussion of this phenomenon.

And now, permit me to perform a qualitative analysis of this seemingly overwhelming data. I shall do so by exploring inter-personal relationships. Again, I look over the cubicle wall to Kiwi. I spend a solid 8-9 hours a day within a stone's throw of him. That's more time than I've ever spent that close to anyone. My own mother grows tired of my incessant scheming after 3 or 4 hours. I suspect Kiwi will be the "closest"person to me until I "hitch one on" and I am therefore contractually obligated to share a room with someone.

Kiwi, here's lookin' at you, kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home