Thursday, May 18, 2006

Two issues

In a private correspondence, Dr Cook asked that I comment on his piece from last week on government spying. I decided to spend a few days mulling it over, hoping that I'd come up with an idea, something new, something insightful. It has now been a week; this has not happened. I will now provide you with my thoughts, as insignificant as they might be. Take from them what you wish.

As I see it, there are two issues at stake. As American citizens, our first concern should be our civil liberties and our right to privacy. While there are many lawyers and commentators that can put forth this arguement more comprehensively and eloquently than I, allow me to say one thing: that in America tapping phones without a) probable cause, and b) court-approval is illegal, and in my opinion, immoral. I have the legal right to talk on the telephone without worrying that someone is listening to or recording my conversation (anybody remember Linda Tripp??).

Furthermore, all American citizens must function within the laws of this country. The President is a citizen of the United States, and his job is not only to create new laws, but, like you and I, also to abide by existing ones. I fundamentally do not believe that the President has extraordinary rights or powers that normal citizens do not have.

However, I agree with Dr Cook that there is also a second issue that should raise a few eyebrows. Last week, news broke that the Bush administration had been compiling huge lists of phone calls made by by American citizens. In addition to being intrusive, this sounds like a colossal (not to mention expensive) task, and given that the overwhelming majority of phone calls made in this country are not a threat to national security, one that is not terribly fruitful. Bush claims that he is our protector, our best option, and this is the best idea he can come up with? Is his war on terror so hopeless that documenting every phone phone call made in the country is the only way that it can be fought?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home