Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Mr Beerman and the blog

I haven't blogged in a while, and for the last few months my blogging has been, at the best, sporadic. Let's explore why.

New Job - I started a new job in October and it's been keeping me pretty busy. Learning a new job always takes time, and I'm still very much the office "newbie." I've been putting in the extra hours and trying to focus on work while in the office, rather than writing the mid-morning post. Is this a cop-out answer? Sort of. But couple the new job with my attempts to go to the gym more frequently, taking a night class, and my desire to maintain a strong drinking habit, and Mr Beerman has been very busy lately. Blogging has fallen to the wayside.

Dislike of looking into a computer screen for longer than I have to - Don't get me wrong, my job is interesting, but let's look at my daily activities for what they are. I stare at a computer for 7-9 hours a day, every day. When I get home, I just can't face turning on my personal computer unless it's absolutely necessary. This puts a limit on any posts written from home.

Writer's block - I've never been much of a diary-oriented blogger, you know the kind that I'm talking about. "Hey readers, its been a while, but just so you know I finally got the number of that boy/girl that I always flirt with at the office/gym/local watering hole. Do you think I should call him/her? I really want to, but I just broke up with my ex and I don't know if I'm ready." Or perhaps it's "My boss is really really mean to me at the office and I just don't know what to do. I've already written him and email and spoken to the lady in HR. What else do you think I should do? What does this say about me as a person? I think before I do anything I need to engage in more pretentious and indulgent self-analyzation about who I am and the person that I want to be." To hell with that. Unfortunately, when you try to write about subjects other than yourself, writer's block becomes an issue. I like to give the readers my two cents on politics, pop-culture, society, etc., but I just haven't had a whole lot to write about lately. I've done the Bush-bashing thing to death, Iraq just depresses me, I have little faith that a Democratic Congress can accomplish anything substantial, I haven't heard any good music lately. What to write about? Dr Cook, Dietsch, the 408ers, someone, anyone, please provide me with a subject of consequence to write about. I like to have an assignment to focus my attention on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Suggested topics for Mr. Beerman:

1) Obama's Rise
2) Hillary's Fall
3) Let's say the Dems cut off funding for the war in Iraq - is that a winner or loser politically? (The Angry Roommate and I had a discussion on this the other night and I'd like to hear your thoughts.)
4) Is it possible to make friends-with-benefits work?
5) How much is your life like a Dilbert comic strip?
6) Is Mandy Moore hotter while guest-starring on Scrubs or Entourage?
7) Tony Blair or David Cameron?
8) Does American Idol spell doom for American culture?
9) What do we do about illegal immigration?
10) Should I feel guilty if I buy coffee from Starbucks?

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home