Wednesday, August 09, 2006

So It Begins...

After nearly six years of dreaming, I finally purchased a Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler. Built from 1981-1986, the Scrambler represents Jeep's second of three attempts at a longbody CJ, which is today known as the Wrangler.

The Scrambler is an incredible piece of machinery. Here are a few specs of my new toy:
  • Engine: AMC 4.2L I-6 (the cylinders are in a straight "I", as opposed to the common "V")
  • Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
  • Transfer Case: Model 300
  • Rear Axle: Dana 20
  • Front Axle: Dana 30

The Scrambler, in her present form, does not run. It's been sitting for nearly four years, during which time it was, according to the owner, turned over on a monthly basis to prevent the block from freezing. To offset these past years of neglect, I have decided to take on a full restoration project. Chances are the work will take me months to complete, if not well over a year. Considering my other commitments - family, friends, work - I won't be able to devote large blocks of time to wrenching. Needless to say, posts on my progress will be many but far between.

So here's the deal: I want to blog about my Scrambler so that folks can follow along, offer their insight, and, most importantly, keep me on track. Although I am in no way a quitter, projects as large as these tends to fall to the wayside, and rarely complete on schedule. Consider this my first progress report - it all begins today.

I will provide pictures of my progress as well, as one of my tangential goals is to create a comprehensive record of my work for those who care to repeat my work or at least learn from it. I'm not sure anyone will ultimately care, but it will give me something to look back on.

What have I done so far, you ask? Well, to be honest, not much. I bought a few parts from Quadratec and ordered a Jeep CJ handbook. I am supposed to pick up the Scrambler some time before Saturday. The real fun - tearing 'er down - starts this weekend. Stay tuned...

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr Beerman said...

I think we need to have an editorial meeting before you turn Commonwealth Recipes into some grease-monkey diary.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home